Sunday, June 10, 2012

creek hoppin

I have about a half dozen local creeks frequent but like everyone I have my favorite. Wind layed down from yesterday but I just wasn't feeling like pulling the boat out.  Thought about hitting the beach for a Stripers or some Perch but decided to do some hike in fishing local. With the mild dry winter we had I was glad to see the Poison Oak was almost non existant except for a few small sprigs..My home Creek is spring fed and a little low right now but very fishable and cold. The fish that live in it are wild native Coastal Rainbows and a little sprinkling of Steelhead in the lower stretches during the winter. The water is always gin but they prefere large dries over anything else and a 2wt stick is my weapon here. Three or four hours and about a mile + of water produced a couple of dozen little gems. No trails and no people made for a great day but tough on the knees!


First little creek bow sighting

Another rooting around

This is the fish in the photo just above


This reports kind of backward but I wanted to add that on the way up the mountian I stopped off at a clear water Carp fishery I reported on a week or so ago since it's on the way. Got up on the hill and glassed lots of empty clear water. I was just about to leave and I saw a really nice fish way off in the distance. I rarely see and catch anythinig over 6-7lbs here but this one stood out. Grabed my gear and literally ran to try and intercept this fish. It looked to be about 10-11lbs. This place is wide open and clear water so I set up on a spot with a good back drop and waited her out. It felt like an hour but probobly only about 5 miinutes into it she headed right for me. I cast on her once and was way infront so I took a second shot and over cast her about 5 feet . I couldn't believe she didn't blow out so I stripped like mad and dropped it right on her nose and by god she ate! She bolted off and stopped just as my backing left the guides and came back at me just as fast before settling down for a little close contact fight. THAT was fun! Packed it in and headed to the trout after that..

She is beat and just about ready..

Sun light shot

5 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

Looks like that creek could be Tenkara water.

Mark

David Knapp said...

Nice little creek there and great carp as well! Its amazing how its color changes when you get it out of the water and and into the sunlight!

Juan said...

Great looking creek!

Gregg said...

Great carp story and picture! Sometimes those fish blow all convention and do things that bless us, but rarely. We have pretty little streams as such were steelhead still exist but the small 'bows we catch are almost 100% smolts. I was in N. Ca. as a fire fighter, seen creeks flowing into the Trinity drainage that looked like that. Pretty country.

Gregg

Sioux Falls Painters said...

Loved reaading this thanks