Sunday, December 13, 2009

Santa Cruz Surf..

After a 60 something hour work week, that also included Saturday, I slept in till 7!! I took a quick look at some local freshwater that was on the verge of being blown out. I decided to head toward the beach and see if I could catch some perch in the surf. I seem to do well with Surf Perch Dec-Feb and especially during fronts if there's some rain. I was suprised and happy too see very few people and calf high breakers where I wanted to fish. There was a good rip but the swell/rollers were canceled out by a large point about a half mile away. It was easy fishing with many perch with in 15 feet of where I was standing. Anybody could catch em!

I threw 3 inch grubs on a light spinning rod. Both motor oil and a little red shad grub worked but the red shad with anchovie smelly jelly out fished everything else I tried. All Barred Surf Perch except for one Walleye Perch. I have a caught HUGE Pile Perch and a couple of years ago a pig Red Tail on this beach so you never know. On almost my last cast I stuck a nice one that came off in the surf. I wanted that one! It was a nice 12-13in perch.

I kept saying to myself that if it started to rain I was outta there but it just drizzled off and on and never really rained. It was pleasant but the water was coooold. All of that for tough photo taking!





No comments: