Wednesday, December 4, 2013

bass fishing

Fall is by far my favorite time of the year.  Especially for Bass fishing. Actually, all year we have damn good fishing but there is something about Fall Bass fishing on California reservoirs. It is arguably some of the best Bass fishing anywhere.  If you put in the time and effort, like with anything else, you are liekley to be rewarded some very large fish. Up until the last 36 hours we had been enjoying an endless Indian Summer with mild day time temps in the 70s and the bass fishing has been great. No Giants by any stretch but good numbers of solid fish ..lakes are turning over or have turned in some cases and bait fish (Threadfin Shad) is all over the water column and so are the fish. I don't fly fish for them..I grew fishing for Largemouth, Smallies and Spots with gear and it has been the one fish that I havn't put much effort in fly fishing for. I more than likely never will for various reasons but who cares really? It's just fishing and all good.



                                   




5 comments:

David Knapp said...

Nice fish! I'm sure there are some purists out there that would disagree, but I think the ability to diversify your fishing methods makes you a better fisherman.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you admit to fishing with gear. I often am embarrassed to fish with gear, but sometimes it's just way more practical? Try fishing a fly down 40ft off a rocky point like you would a soft plastic on a spin rod... Anyways, nice fish!

Mark Kautz said...

Who am I to criticize someone who fishes with a spinning rod. You have to fish what the situation calls for.

David McKenzie said...

.I'm not a purest and in no way imbarrasses to fish for bass with gear. To me , when I put the trolling motor down I want to cover water quickly and efficiently. I actually like dredging flies deep for landlocked Salmon, trout, big smallmouth and reef species in the salt.. I have friends that do really well targeting LM but I just prefere gear...nothing more. I like the sensitivity you can get with the rods with out line drag and covering deep structure I can see on my graph.Who knows, maybe I will spend some time over the winter with BIG flies and try and stick a pig. a 10+ on a fly would be pretty rewarding and totally possible in the places I fish. I guess I'm a hybrid angler ha! Thanks for the comments.

Jay Hann said...

Is that Calero?