Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pyramid Lake , Nevada

I was able to sneak away for a fall solo trip to the high desert of Nevada. I always love getting up there regardless of the time of year. I rolled in about noon on Monday and leisurely scoped out a few areas and just looked around for life. These fish are predators and will give them self up if you just settle in and watch. Birds, bait, wind and cloud cover were right on a very juicy beach I have history on so I decided instead of getting in waders and jumping in, I would find some green water close to the beach and make a few tosses with a streamer and kind of get a feel. Well. fourth or fifth cast in I got a big powerful grab about 20' off the shore.  I didn't visualize the size of the fish until I saw a big flash and a dinner table size boil..Turned out it was my personal best Lohantan Cutthroat ever. 31"x19.5 girth.  That's a hell of a way to start the trip and talk about a confidence builder. I wasn't able to duplicate that over the next three days but many fish were landed and I had a wonderful time exploring some out of the way places on and off the lake.





31"x19.5 girth and clean relase.

With the dry air and almost no rain, this turn of the century
wagon was perfectly preserved in the middle of nowhere.

5 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

I've noticed that the "fish to extinction" crowd had been working Pyramid. I'm surprised there are any fish left in the lake. That was sure a beauty though.

Carlos Rubio said...

Nice fish !!
Congratulation for this capture.

Carlos from Spain

David McKenzie said...

Mark this is a huge lake and there are remote places that are alive and well. I can't control the fact that people get off with filling there freezer so I don't even try anymore. It is what it is and I will just keep fishing. This is supposed to be fun right?

David McKenzie said...

Thak you Carlos

David Knapp said...

That fish is ridiculous! Well done and congrats on a nice trip!