Saturday, January 26, 2013

Winter fishin..

Weather has been pretty damn nice the last couple of days with highs in the mid 60's lows in the 50's. I've been splitting my fishing up between Stripers, conventional Bass fishing and Carpin. The bass fishing is great on the lakes but the Stripers and Carp on the fly have been tough as nails the last couple of weeks. Still getting a few Stripers but you have to work for them. The wildlife is out and about while chasing Stripers and makes for a great day on the water despite the tough fishing though.
This weekend I decided to target Carp, and I hit em early since the afternoon just isn't that busy on the flats with fish. They were already crusing shallow bays and shorelines when I got there but the mood was off. They were more interested in each other with the warm morning and freaked out at the sight of a well placed fly. Water had dropped a bit and really cleared too. I ended up blanking but it was a good day to be out there. I cast on a half dozen fish that I felt were eaters and passed on a really good shot on a happy fish to wait for Mr. Koi, that was raising hell in the shallows. That damn fish probobly cost me a grab today but had I taken a stab at an everage common and fed it, there was no chance at a shot on a pearl white Koi that's been screwing with me the couple of weeks. I'll get that Koi eventualy but i'm going to have to be smart about it. Today she was just follwing and disrupting the daisy chain so after three or four refusals over the course of today, I will let her be tommorow and fool that fish when it lets it guard down. Here is a shot of the Koi from my early morning Carp blind commin at me. There is a lot going on in the pic if you fly fish for Carp! Especially for a January morning. There is a real shallow fish about 8-10ft behind it up on the bank making a slight ring from it's back poking out of the water and another fish about 50' further toward the pocket just past the little nob jetting out mudding around that was good quality, but never came in range. I'll sneek up behind that pocket in the morning and see whats up!

4 comments:

testflycarpin said...

That is a sweet shot of the KOI, not sure I would be calm enough to take a picture! This is the same one?

David McKenzie said...

Yeah that's the same fish. I've been targeting it for a couple of weeks.

Gregg said...

Good luck with that koi, tough as grass carp those buggers. Nice to see carp-still waiting for snow to melt here.

Gregg

David McKenzie said...

spring will be here before you know it and you'll be back on them Glenn!