Saturday, July 4, 2009

Monterey Bay

I started to load and hook up my skiff at 4am this morning. After some though I decided to rent a skiff in Santa Cruz. It's so easy and affordable it's ridiculous. No hassle and BS the Santa Cruz launch ramp is famous for on holiday weekends.

The morning started out shrowded with a heavy marin layer that broke about noon into a post card perfect day. Wind stayed down and I didn't head to the barn till 2:45.

I finally caught my first ling on a fly. A youngster of about 13in. Two casts later I set into a fish with some shoulders and this one becomes my second ling. A nice 29 in fish. Lots of fun on an 8wt. I caught both of them and a few other specie casting paralell to kelp beds with a 350gr shooting head. Grabs came from 10-12' of water over 20. Bait was thick all morning.

I also spent some time throwing big hammer swimbaits for Halibut. I missed one bite and caught a few other fish including 3 Vermillion. I only saw one halibut caught today. It was nice fish about 15lbs a skiff close to me landed on bait.

I might head back in the morning and hit the beach for stripers in the early am before the crowds wake up.







No comments: